August 3, 2013

Poet Interview: Queen of Spades

Interview with Queen of Spades



Queen of SpadesBelow is a Q&A session that I had with published poet Queen of Spades. During this session, I was able to find out about her published collections as well as what inspires her to write her poetry. Check out this very insightful Q&A.





How many books have you published?  
Well, I served as the presenter of one poetry collection, entitled Soulful Branches: Simply Words (through Xlibris publishing) along with an accompanying CD, Soulful Branches: Words and Sounds.  At the time, I was a moderator/administrator of a poetry community and footed the bulk of the printing costs to showcase various writers who were part of the organization. 

After that, I debuted my first poetry collection, Spaded Truths (2005), followed by my second collection, Private Pain (2006), and after an seven year hiatus, my third poetry collection, Reflections of Soul, this past May of 2013.

So I guess, in total, four.

Tell me about your latest work? 
Reflections of Soul (blurb):  Inspiration is all around but what happens when inspiration from one impacts facets of another’s Self?  Reflections of Soul takes one on this poetic journey—a voyage coated in bittersweet waves: paying homage to the inspiration while gaining necessary closure on the impact after the bond met its death.


What inspired you to write this?  
Reflections of Soul was inspired by someone who I deeply connected with through the written and spoken word.  We were intertwined for over five years before things met their end.  There were times when I almost threw away the collection but each time, I just couldn't   Earlier this year, as I was doing some spring cleaning, I found the collection again, and I was able to read and appreciate the pieces without feeling the pain.  The publication of this work serves not only as my catharsis but as my re-emergence into interacting with the written and artistic world.

Where can it be purchased?  
Reflections of Soul is available: both in paperback and e-book form.

Paperback:  CreateSpace | Amazon
E-book:  Kindle | Nook | SonySmashwords

How can readers find you?  
Writing pseudonym:  Queen of Spades

Blog: A Queen's Ramblings
This is where I share my writings (published/unpublished) and news related to upcoming releases and networking with others in the writing community.

Amazon Author Page
Goodreads Page
Smashwords Page

Interview/Reviews Site: The Review Board
This is where I (along with fellow board member, "Mr. Controversy" Andrew Boyd) do in-depth reviews.  Although The Review Board covers music, movies, TV-shows, and web series, we have a passion for covering books, particularly those of self-published and independent writers. In addition, we also do a monthly Author Spotlight for a backstage pass on the person behind the writing.

The Review Board on Facebook
Twitter: @therevboard

Website: No Labels Unleashed
I deem No Labels Unleashed "The Glue".  It is the one stop spot, not only to get a personal look into the person behind Queen of Spades, but it contains the links to all of the things I'm working on and am a part of.  This includes links to my other two writing personas that are working on their own projects coming out sometime next year.  The trio is deemed "The Collective".

No Labels Unleashed on Facebook
Twitter: @simplynolabels
Instagram: @nolabelsunleashed
Pinterest
Tumblr
YouTube
e-mail: nolabelsunleashed@hotmail.com

How long have you been writing? 
I've been writing since the age of 11.

Do you write about life experiences?  
Quite a bit of my writings stem from things I've gone through in my life or others’ experiences I can sympathize and/or empathize with. I have actually called myself a Life Writer on a few occasions. 

Do you have a specific writing style?  
I believe my writing has a bit of a storytelling aura, but I don’t think it has a style, per se.  I like for the reader to actually feel like he or she is there with each line and each stanza.  There are some things that flow better as a poem, while others in the form of prose (monologues) or short stories.  

What's the best thing about being a writer?  
For me, the best thing about being a writer is being heard.  Writing served as my voice.  In my family, there was no outlet for me to truly feel heard, so whenever I wrote, it served as a release. Once pen met paper, I felt freedom, and I've treasured that freedom ever since.  It’s an extra reward when someone reads something I've written and appreciates it, whether it’s because of presentation or because that person has been there or is going through it.  If I've touched a life, then that’s progress.

What are you working on now? 
I’m putting the final touches on my next poetry collection, Eclectic: Skin Edition.  In Eclectic: Skin EditionI've experimented with different types of writing, and it’s divided into three sections: part senryu, part longer poetry (or for those who have followed me from my writing circles, my vintage stuff), and part prose (monologues).  There will be a deluxe edition of Eclectic, deemed “Beyond the Skin”, which will include a bonus section, a short story I've written entitled “Misfortune”, which will be featured in my short story collection, Continuous Drips, which will come out sometime late next year.

Tell me a little more about you: 

Are you a morning or night person?  
I am definitely a morning person.  Perhaps it stems from my being born in the morning.  Plus, I've noticed I gain my greatest bursts of creativity and energy in the morning.  It tends to lull around the afternoon but picks back up in the early evening.

What's your favorite line from a movie? 
“Peach.  I can eat a peach for hours.”~ Nicholas Cage, Face-Off.  Just the way he says it and how he looks at the female while he’s saying it.

Tell us about a unique and/or quirky habit of yours.  
Wow, I think we need to do a separate posting for all of those!  One that sticks out is the fact that I set my watches and my clocks (exception being the cell phone and computer) fast by ten minutes.  I like being early for things, so I trick my brain into believing it’s later than it is. It goes back to when I was going to school: having to rise early to catch the bus and wanting to make sure I was already waiting at the bus stop rather than racing down the road trying to chase it.

What season do you like best? Why? 
My favorite season would have to be fall.  I like the shift from very hot to becoming cool.  Plus, it doesn’t hurt that I was born in September.  

If you could visit any place in the world where would you want to go? 
This one is a tough one to narrow down because I want to visit so many places, so let me pick the first one that comes to my head.  I would have to go with Jamaica.  It is my dream honeymoon spot.  The pictures of 
the water, the beaches—an incredible ambiance.  

What's your motto in life?  
I have quite a few but my favorite one is: “Life is too short to hold back, so live It as if It’s not guaranteed.”~ Queen of Spades



Purchase Queen of Spades Poetry Collections:



Queen of Spades


Reflections of Soul
Published: May 2013

Where One Can Purchase:
Paperback:  CreateSpace | Amazon
E-book:  Kindle | Nook | Sony | Smashwords




Queen of Spades
Private Pain (1st edition)
Published: 2006
Publisher: Lulu
Private Pain is my second poetry collection and can be deemed my most personal heart wrenching work.  I will be releasing a 2nd edition of Private Pain, entitled Private Pain: Amidst These Ashes (Winter 2013),  which will be released on multiple platforms, such as CreateSpace, Amazon, and Barnes & Nobles.  E-book form will be available as well.  

Where One Can Purchase:


Queen of Spades
Spaded Truths (1st edition)
Published: 2005
Publisher: Lulu
Spaded Truths is my first poetry collection.  I will be releasing a 2nd edition of Spaded Truths (Winter 2013) which will be released on multiple platforms, such as CreateSpace, Amazon, and Barnes & Nobles.  E-book form will be available as well.  



Where One Can Purchase:


Queen of Spades
Soulful Branches: Simply Words (poetry anthology)
Publisher: Xlibris 
Published: 2005
My Role: Presenter
Soulful Branches is a collection of poetry from various writers that I had the pleasure in knowing from two writing organizations I was a part of, Fireseek (later known as Urban Poetic) and International House of Poets.


Where One Can Purchase:
Amazon: paperback | hardcover
Xlibris Bookstore (paperback and hardback)




Facebook Twitter Pinterest

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment: