October 17, 2013

Kindred Spirits by May Torres

When a crime of passion is committed in a quaint suburban neighborhood, long buried secrets begin to surface. It was an ordinary Thursday night when Grace looked out her window to see her neighbor brutally murder his family. Unfortunately, her special gift, and long buried secrets of her own, conspire to put her at risk. 

If the line between good and bad is drawn in blood, what happens when less than six degrees separates you from pure evil?


Available on October 31, 2013

Pre-order it today at Touche Publishers: May Torres




Interview with May Torres about her new book Kindred Spirits:



What inspired you to write Kindred Spirits?

It's funny. Kindred Spirits was never intended to be a book. I had wanted to write some short stories to post on my blog so readers could get a feel for my writing. I wrote the first story and in the middle of writing the second, I decided to make a connection to the first. The whole thing snowballed from there until I had four separate short stories but connected in some way. Hope you're still with me .  My friend and author, R.C. Berry, liked the stories and asked (demanded) that I continue because it would make for a nice short story compilation book. So I did. I had a good amount of stories completed but had a hard time giving it a title. It was difficult to come up with one because there's not just one specific subject. I finally decided that the word kindred would be a part of the title because it means related. Then I naturally thought of the word that normally follows kindred, which is spirits. It was a fleeting thought but when R.C. Berry suggested kindred spirits, I knew that was the name I'd go with. It's what the book is about in more ways than one 

  





Who is your favorite character? Why?

I like Mael. He's dark, cynical, and misunderstood. It's the typical bad boy attraction that plagues us ladies.  


On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the scariest) how scary is Kindred Spirits?

That's a good question. I struggled so much with wondering if I could classify this book as horror. I love horror, it's my favorite genre to read as well as movies I watch. I don't scare easily. (Let's not get into my butterfly phobia) That's the reason why I find it so difficult to gauge the fear factor. What scares the hell out of most people, I don't find scary at all. But it's safe to say that Kindred Spirits is a solid 7, maybe 8 (As you can see I keep insisting it's not scary, don't trust me lol)  R.C. Berry, who has read it, definitely, without a doubt, says it's horror and that there are, indeed, frightening elements to the story.  


A little birdy told me that Stephen King is your favorite author, how do you think he would like Kindred Spirits?

Yes, I love Mr King! I think he would like it because it takes ordinary people and turns them into monsters, which he's a master of. While there are otherworldly things going on, the heart of these stories involve human emotions from one side of the spectrum, way over to the other. The stories will have you feeling and thinking a certain way at the start, only to find out it wasn't what it appeared to be. I came across this quote, which will appear in the beginning of the book - “Fairly examined, truly understood, No man is wholly bad, nor wholly good.”--Theognis This is basically the theme of Kindred Spirits in a nutshell.


What scares you the most?

Let's get this out of the way, I have an actual phobia of butterflies(and moths). I don't ask anyone to understand it because I don't. They frighten me something awful. The metamorphosis creeps me the hell out. I don't like them being a caterpillar one minute and then a butterfly the next. Go ahead laugh. It's stupid, I know, but they scare me. (tadpoles to frog I don't particularly care for either lol) Anyway, people would be surprised to know that none of the horror movies scare me but disaster movies do. Day After Tomorrow, I Am Legend, even the destruction depicted in the movie Independence Day. I fear some kind of natural disaster wiping everything out. I don't like to see monuments destroyed or any traces of our existence gone.  I got bothered by Will Smith being all alone in I Am Legend, while most people were cringing at those creatures he faced. Yeah, I don't like end of the world stuff.  


What is your favorite horror movie?

You're asking me to choose which child is my favorite 
I'm a huge Michael Meyers fan. I admit to being scared of crazy people more than, let's say, ghosts, demons etc. I know it becomes ridiculous when he can't be killed but I just love him. The first Nightmare on Elm Street is also a favorite. Of course I loved the Exorcist. I loved the Sixth Sense, not sure if it's horror but really love movies with a twist. Most of the times I see the twist coming a mile away but that one got me! Also in the same fashion, I enjoyed The Others with Nicole Kidman. LOVED that scene towards the ending of The Ring. I'm fascinated by anything paranormal.  


What are you going to be for Halloween this year?

I'm afraid I may not have time to come up with a costume this year. Due to getting Kindred Spirits ready for its Halloween release. When I dress up I like to be scary. To hell with all those cutesy or sexy kind of costumes for Halloween. I want to be dark and frightening. This year I would probably have loved to be zombie since I'm on my The Walking Dead kick. I also love being a dark angel/angel of death type character.  The new season of American Horror Story also has me wanting to be a freaky witch.

1 comment: